The Law Office of William C. Wombacher
309-674-8125 888-365-0852

Who should be my agent for my Power of Attorney?

In Illinois, we have powers of attorney for Property. These are documents that allow others to handle financial matters for us. We have powers of Health Care. In some states these are know as a health care proxy. These documents allow your agent to make health care decisions for you if you can not.

Many people are overly focused on spreading around the resposibilities for these positions between their children. You should be most concerned first whether your children would be capable of handling the responsibilities or whether you need to find another relative or friend.

Some people are great with money--responsible and can keep records in order. Others you would never let get close to your checkbook. Financial train wrecks. Some people can make difficult end of life decisions while others would be paralized in making those decisions. 

So the answer is PICK THE BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB. You don't do anybody any favors in asking them to do a job that is beyond their ability. You certainly don't help yourself. Don't worry about hurting someone's feelings because you don't pick them. If I am your attorney I want you to use the most capable person because if you have a problem and need to use the POA then I want to be working with the most capable person. Sometimes the best or only capable person is going to be the agent on both the Power of attorney for Property and the power of attorney for Health Care.

William Wombacher, your Central Illinois Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) and Social Security Disability Specialist. I'll help you!

Serving Peoria, East Peoria, Peoria Heights, Pekin, Dunlap, Chillicothe, Morton, Washington, Metamora, Canton, Galesburg, Lacon, Henry, Bloomington, Normal and surrounding cites and counties of Peoria, Tazewell, Woodford, Fulton and  Knox Counties in Central Illinois.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information