Is it possible to get Social Security disability benefits for a time period in the past when you were disabled but have now recovered?

The answer maybe yes. First, you have to have impairments that are going to prevent you from working for 12 months or more. There is no short term disability with Social Security. You have to have a serious medical condition, mental health situation or severe personal injury which required a number of treatments or surgeries staged over a period longer than 12 months. If you made a recovery and are no longer disabled but the disability period extended over 12 months you may now be entitled to a closed period of disability benefits. It maybe be possible to get benefits for that prior period. If that is the case you should apply for disability benefits immediately.

William Wombacher, your Central Illinois Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) and Social Security Disability Specialist. I’ll help you!
Call me at 309-674-8125, visit at

Serving Peoria, East Peoria, Peoria Heights, Pekin, Dunlap, Chillicothe, Morton, Washington, Metamora, Canton, Galesburg, Lacon, Henry, Bloomington, Normal and surrounding cities and counties of Peoria, Tazewell, Woodford, Fulton and Knox Counties in Central Illinois.


RSS Feed

I Make Home &
Hospital Visits

Schedule A
Free Consult

Let Me Help

The Law Office of William C. Wombacher

Local: 309-674-8125
Fax: 309-674-8149

Commerce Bank Building
416 Main Street Suite 700
Peoria, IL 61602
NELF | National Elder Law Foundation
CAP | Council of Advanced Practitioners | NAELA | National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
Illinois State Bar Association